Sunday 11 July 2010

Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting

I don't like big cakes. I've tried ordering slices of victoria sponge in cafes, or triple layer carrot cakes in tea shops but I simple can't get over the feeling that I am stealing a piece of someone else's cake. I like to have my own cake. I don't care if it's big or small as long as it is all mine. So after years of skirting around the issue, trying to persuade myself to eat slices of cake from dessert trollies, I have decided that from now on I will only be eating cupcakes and other individually packaged treats (obviously brownies and other tray-bakes are not included in this declaration, that would just be silly). 
So at the cafe, individual cakes are definitely the order of the day. We have already had lots of cupcake orders for children's parties (these banana cupcakes were for an 8 year old's birthday party) so my plan this summer is to expand my repertoire of cupcakes and get lots of practice at pretty decorative frosting. There are worse things that seeing the summer stretch ahead filled with piles of flavoured cupcakes: cappucinno and espresso, mojito and strawberry daquiri are just for starters.


Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting

Chocolate Fudge Frosting
25g butter
25g cream cheese
2 tbsp cocoa powder
200g icing sugar
1 tbsp milk

Beat the butter and cream cheese with a wooden spoon until soft. 
Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa powder into the butter mixture and beat until well blended.
Add a tablespoon of milk if necessary to reach a thick spreading consistency. 
Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge until the cupcakes are cool. 

Banana Cupcakes
170g butter
170g caster sugar
170g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs, whisked together
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 medium bananas, chopped 

Preheat the oven to 180C
With an electric beater, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add a tablespoon of flour and fold in to the mixture.
Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the batter mixing well, then fold in the flour, baking powder and salt. 
Gently stir the bananas into the mixture
Line two muffin tins with 18 cases and divide the batter between them.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until the cupcakes are golden brown. 
Cool on a wire rack then top with chocolate fudge frosting and decorate with dragees, smarties or chocolate chips. 

3 comments:

  1. Chocolate fudge frosting...........mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just arrived by chance from Foodie Blog Roll via I-haven't-a-clue-where-else, but the title was so intriguing that I had to peek in.

    And to see that you're in Scotland is icing on the (all your own) cupcake!! I longed for Scotland all my life, and finally made the trip in 2003. It was dreamily wonderful, and I certainly did justice to every dessert trolley encountered. I'd walk-trained for MONTHS to be prepared for all those hills and stairs.

    But this post, especially, reminded me of a children's story from my long-ago childhood: A Mother baked her little son a beautiful birthday cake, only to be delivered notice that the King had come unexpectedly to the village, and all prepared foods must be brought immediately to the square, for the King and his entourage.

    The little child was so disappointed and the Mother so sad that he couldn't even have a slice of his own cake, that she cut a small circular slice right out of the center, then frosted all round the inside, so it seemed as if it had been made that way.

    Perhaps a slice like that? Anyway, thanks for the memory and I'll be dropping back.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, what a beautiful story, I love it. Thanks for sharing it. Glad you visited Scotland - where did you get to?
    It is the end of National Cupcake week in Scotland and I have been baking like a maniac - so much so that for another week, I've not posted anything - will put that right this coming week with a week of cupcake updates....

    ReplyDelete