Sunday 28 March 2010

Fresh Soup, Hummus and Roast Vegetable Panini, and a Lovely Cake to Finish

I have not written very much for the last couple of weeks. Life just got in the way. However, now I am very excited and more than a little bit nervous to say that I have taken on the lease on a very lovely local cafe. I am currently on a vertical learning curve (and I've hardly done anything yet) working out rules and regs, ordering and suppliers, insurances and decor.... I've barely had time to plan out all the fun bits (the food and the drinks that is) so any and all suggestions welcome - cakes, sandwich fillings, salads etc etc etc.

I will be asking for more help and ideas and writing at length later but for today, I really need to get back to feeding my family. They are soon to contract scurvy, as these past couple of weeks, most of my time has been spent at the computer and very little making lovely food.

Much as they need a good solid vegetable-filled meal, they are going to spend another week eating cookies, cakes and tray-bakes while I test out recipes for the cafe.... I'm sure there will not be too many complaints!

Fruit Crunchies
100g butter
75g soft brown sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
100g self-raising flour
a pinch of salt
100g porridge oats
50graisins
50g finely chopped dates
50g finely chopped dried apricots
50g finely chopped pecan nuts

Preheat the oven to 160C. Prepare a cookie sheet.
On a low heat, melt butter, sugar and syrup together.
In a seperate bowl, sift flour and salt together and add the oats, dried fruit and nuts.
Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients in the bowl.
Bring together to make a dough. Add a tablespoon or two of water if needed.
Roll the dough into around 20 walnut sized balls.
Place on baking tray and press down with the palm of your hand.
Bake for 12minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack.
Serve with cold milk or hot coffee.

1 comment:

  1. i need an after school snack......all i can remember is bread and jam!

    ReplyDelete